Willkommen auf den Seiten des Auswärtigen Amts
We stand ready to support Ambassador Grossi in fulfilling the Agency's mandate to accelerate and enlarge the contribution of ⚛️energy throughout the 🌍.— Germany UN Vienna (@GermanyUNVienna) 2. Dezember 2019
Full statement by DDG Ursula Borak @BMWi_Bund
👉 https://t.co/Ch0aRgF2B5 https://t.co/NNPBoepBM2 pic.twitter.com/KFkT7p4xOA
STATEMENT BY GERMANY
DELIVERED BY HEAD OF DELEGATION URSULA BORAK
INTERNATIONAL ATOMIC ENERGY AGENCY
2nd SPECIAL SESSION OF THE 63. GENERAL CONFERENCE
AGENDA ITEM 4: Approval of the Appointment of the Director General
02 December 2019; VIENNA
1. On behalf of the German Federal Government and on my own behalf, I wish to warmly congratulate Ambassador Rafael Grossi on his appointment as Director General of the IAEA by the General Conference today. We welcome Ambassador Grossi as the first Director General from Latin America in the history of the Agency.
2. His impressive career testifies that Ambassador Grossi has great experience and expertise not only as a diplomat but also in the area of non-proliferation, nuclear safety and security, and the promotion of peaceful uses of nuclear technology. Let me highlight as one example his past commitment in the International Framework for Nuclear Energy Cooperation, the IFNEC. I am convinced that Ambassador Grossi will lead the IAEA in its complex tasks with technical expertise, diplomatic skill and impartiality.
3. Germany reaffirms its longstanding and strong support for the Agency as a permanent member of the Board of Governors and one of the major financial contributors. We look forward strengthening our cooperation with the Secretariat and Member States especially in areas as Safeguards and Nuclear Technology including the whole fuel cycle. We stand ready to support Ambassador Grossi in fulfilling the Agency´s mandate to accelerate and enlarge the contribution of nuclear energy to peace, health and prosperity throughout the world.
4. Germany is very pleased to note Ambassador Grossi´s intention to gender mainstreaming, to enhanced effectiveness and efficiency in the IAEA´s work and to increased transparency between the Agency and the Board and Member States.
5. Finally let me wish you, Ambassador Grossi, all the best for the new position at the helm of the IAEA. Ambassador Grossis proven resolve combined with the necessary composure will provide the Secretariat with excellent guidance.
Thank you, Madam President.